Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The beginning


I’ve finally started body casting, and will be making two large installations (along with smaller sculpture pieces, incorporating body casting). This has been a long time coming, and I am ridiculously excited about it.

I guess I should back track a bit. About two years ago I was offered an enormous space to have an art show in, and since I am in no way shape or form at a professional artist it has taken me what seems like an eternity to get any sort of a decent body of work together. I have no formal training and have learned through pure observation and ‘intuitive’ feeling. I like to base majority of my work off of the observation of psychology and common human threads of thought and reaction.
I’m some what bitter towards the art world already and have a generally cynical out look on it. From the hand full of shows I’ve had I’ve experienced nothing but incompetent self important assholes! I don’t know how many people in the art world really truly care about the art... maybe some of them do, all I can ascertain through my own experiences is that the whole thing is shallow and obnoxious. I can hardly even stand going to art shows anymore, I hate the scenesters, the style, the attitudes, the pointless song and dance. I like purity, I crave it, I insist on it. Integrity seems to be a fleeting thing, something lost in all the talk. When I go to an art show or when I have my own I want actual conversation, I want fire through thought.
Of course this is more than I could actually ask for... I’m well aware of that, and have relatively come to terms with it. If I can’t have that then I’ll at least try to have one hell of a show on my own. No middle men, no curators, no one in charge of it but me.

I guess this blog will mostly be for myself, tracking my headway and all that sort of thing. Getting my thoughts out and down has always been an important part of the creative process for me.

1 comment:

critter said...

just remember... there has always been art. there has always been self important assholes. creating is what's important... conveying that which you think is that common tie that binds, in your own style. it's sad that art is a market now, sure, but a bitch gotta eat! i'm not sure if i should tell you to play the game, but no matter what, confidence and concentration is im portant!! do what you have to, as long as it hurts no one including yourself!