Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Lifted


Well, I seem to be mostly out of my overly cynical view of humanity slump(for the time being). For as long as I can remember i have gone through these periods of time when I feel the need to deconstruct and rip apart any hope or faith I have in fellow humans. I suppose if I really wanted these ‘fits’ to stop I could get on a prescription for xanax or some other mind numbing drug, but I don’t see that ever happening. So I’ll just suck it up and bitch about it until it finally subsides.

There’s nothing like a healthy dose of reality to kick some one’s ass in to creating.

I watched a John Waters documentary last night, the thing that always inspires me about these people is that they always just did their own thing. They disregarded all the people saying ’you can’t do that’ and just did it, usually on basically no money and very little support from whatever industry they were in. I’ve been working on listening to people less about how they think I should be conducting myself as far as art is concerned. The fact of the matter is, I’ll do it how and when I want to do it, and if I never end up doing it, well then, I guess I never really wanted it.
I’m ’uneducated’, have no funding, no representation, a very limited knowledge of the industry, and a relatively small studio to work in, I don’t really care about any of this. The point is I’ve been consistently making art my whole life, I’ve developed my own style over the years and i don’t see myself quitting anytime soon. This is what I was born to do, this is all I like doing, this is my idea of a good time. I am honored to call myself an artist, and I feel confident enough to give myself the title. I also feel quite lucky that I have enough supportive people around me to encourage this impossible feat. They’re the light at the end of the tunnel...

3 comments:

Maria said...

Yes, an artist creates, no matter what! My studio is even smaller than yours, but pretty organized. It has to be!
Honesty, integrity, being oneself, yeah, I hear you! It's the only way you can exist; the rest is just a pony show. I'm okay with it as you can't change "the way things are"--just yourself and your own "conduct" in the world. Art brings light and inspiration (and possibly thought) to the world, imo, so I feel lucky to be an artist.
Maria

leahreneeart said...

Thanks darlin.

critter said...

so, i guess oscar wilde said, "be yourself. everyone else is already taken." no one backs leah into a corner. no one. not even humanity. or herself.